Sunday 20 August 2017

Takom Leopard C2

After knocking off the jerry can racks I decided to make new ones using brass completely instead of plastic as the others just fell apart. Superglue was pretty useless in the first place due to the very small mating areas so this time I thought I would have a go at soldering.
Brass sheet was cut to size for the bases (10m x 5mm) with the corners rounded off and the strip around them (1mm). Using Blu-Tak to hold things in place some flux was applied to the areas to be soldered;

I had trouble getting the solder off the coil onto my soldering iron but after a suggestion by my good modelling buddy Markus Lack I flattened out some solder and cut it into small strips for greater control (which worked beautifully);


The parts were cleaned up using a fibre glass pen and some wet and dry paper then glued to the back of the turret;
Hopefully these will look better under a coat of paint.
I suppose I should have done this in the first place as superglue never really works that well with brass and plastic, especially when you have such small areas to work with. With a bit of luck I won't knock these off again :o)



No comments:

Post a Comment