Thursday 8 February 2018

The things you find when you tidy up

I was sorting some crap out in the loft and re-arranging the stash of kits and built up models when I found a Revell 1/32 Fw 190D that I had finished a few years ago.
It wasn't in too bad a condition considering (I store the built models in clear plastic storage boxes) apart from the wing mounted pitot tube being bent and the tailwheel had fell off. Rather than bin it I've decided to use it as a test bed for some weathering techniques I have recently learned from these two rather excellent books;


Old models are ideal for this rather than experimenting on your latest and greatest so we'll see what I can come up with. Here's the model at the moment;


One thing that DEFINITELY needs doing is the prop as I used a silver pencil to replicate chips and scratches on it, unfortunately sometime after finishing the model I learned that the props on 109D's were wooden.....duh....
The actual kit was first issued by Hasegawa and when I first looked at the kit it was expensive back then, however Revell re-boxed it under their name, included the later squared-off tail unit and charged substantially less for it :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment