Wednesday 15 August 2018

Heller 1/72 Mirage IV

As I'm waiting for the Takom Bergepanther to set for a day or so (the hull and tracks mainly) I've pulled this out of the 'to do' pile. I sprayed it with Tamiya XF-24 Sea Grey but the finish was terrible due to the paint drying too quick and leaving it with a 'sandy' texture, so I rubbed it down, resprayed, rubbed it down, resprayed and realising I wasn't getting anywhere I left it.
Earlier this week I bought a Humbrol rattle can of Matt 27 Sea Grey acrylic to see if that worked and resprayed the model with that and the finish was a lot better. Once dry I masked off the areas for the green camouflage pattern and here's where it is so far;


I haven't masked off a 1/72 aircraft for years! Going 'old school' I used masking tape cut into narrow strips and followed the pattern on the decal sheet instructions, the areas to be left grey were taped over and using a scalpel I verrrrry carefully cut around the narrow strips of tape.
With a bit of luck I can get this one finished soon. It won't be perfect by any means as this one put up a fight from the start but it will be nice to have a Mirage IV in the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment