Thursday 23 April 2020

Airfix 1/48 Tiger Moth

Just for the hell of it I thought I would start this with the sole intention of (except for an Eduard Zoom etch set) building it OOTB. Of course after looking at some cockpit shots I decided to add some extra bits of my own plus as I discovered Eduard will have you place the slat control quadrants on the starboard side in between the cockpit framing. 
These were actually mounted on panels that attached to the framing so these were made from thin styrene sheet (or plastic card in old money) with the linkages added from heat stretched sprue. 
The throttle quadrant detail was scraped off the port side of the cockpit and replaced with the etch parts and again throttle linkages were added with heat stretched sprue. On all four of these linkages the knob was replaced with 0.88mm styrene rod as I felt the etched ones were pretty non descript.
The rear seat was replaced with the Eduard one and it's worth noting that the rear bulkhead doesn't quite fit properly so the outer edge was chamfered until a good fit was obtained.


I added rudder pedals using a mix of styrene rod and heat stretched sprue with foot rests made from the frame the etched parts were attached to.


That was enough detailing for me otherwise I would have got bogged down researching the aircraft and it would have killed the project stone dead. With that I painted the interior black before spraying it with a very much lightened Tamiya cockpit green/grey with seat belts picked out with Vallejo Iraqi Sand and Leather and slat/ throttle quadrants painted with Vallejo aluminium.
When dry the interior received a dark wash which was a  mix of Kleer/ Future, Tamiya semi gloss black and brown, instrument panels were glued into place and the fuselage was glued together.


No comments:

Post a Comment