Saturday 25 April 2020

Airfix 1/48 Tiger Moth

I'm amazed! In the space of less than a week I have actually built a kit, even with all the extra detailing included;


The last bit of extra work was to replace the tail skid as the version I'm doing has a tail wheel.
I found a wheel of suitable diameter in the spares box and cleaned off the moulded detail then starting off with a length of 2mm square styrene rod a new fork was shaped;


Once I got the shape as-near-as-dammit to the photograph I was using, a hole was drilled into the back of the fork and the rudder post then copper wire of 0.80mm diameter was used for the shaft and support. Fine fuse wire wrapped around a fine drill bit was used for the spring;


All that needs to be done is to mask off the inside of the cowling, cockpits and windscreens, give it a wipe over with IPA to get rid if any dust and grease and it will be ready for painting.
The scheme I have chosen is a Belgian Air Force machine in overall silver dope so the model will be sprayed with a Tamiya rattle can for the base coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment