Saturday 9 April 2016

Dragon Fokker E.V/D.VIII


With the Leopard built I want to have (yet) another go at finishing a model aircraft as previous attempts have ended up as failures for one reason or another (Airfix C-47, Eduard Albatros DIII, Hasegawa Mustang blah blah blah the list is long).
I've always had an interest in WW1 aircraft ever since my parents bought me a book about them when I was a kid, the colour schemes are fantastic and the aircraft themselves have a lot of character. I've dabbled with building them over the years, the latest attempt being the above-mentioned Eduard Albatros.
I've had the Dragon Fokker E.V/ D.VIII in the stash for years as the look of it appealed to me but the main problem at the time was the struts as Dragon supplied them as etch for strength (styrene struts would just not work), the problem with etch is that it is flat and struts have an aerofoil section. I've pondered over the years different ways of improving the etch but never really came up with a solution up until a few days ago (yes it's obviously been at the back of my mind for this long).
What I'm planning to do is use styrene aerofoil section but flattened on one side and then superglued to the etch like this;

So far it looks promising! Here's the kit box;
Now in the years between buying the kit and today there has been new research into the finish of the aircraft. Originally art work in books and the kit suggested that the wing was a solid green and that the lozenge camouflage was made up of five colours, however new research points to the lozenge being four colour on the fuselage with possibly a five colour used on the tailplane. Also the biggest thing is that the wing colour was actually a streaky green and brown on the top surfaces with the underside a streaky azure blue and violet (ugh! I preferred the original green).
In a way I am glad that I did'nt build the kit all those years ago as (A) I probably would have buggered it up in the first place and (B) the new research means if I finish it the model will be more accurate. I recently got some lozenge decals from Aviattic that are VERY nice so this should be a giggle. More later....




No comments:

Post a Comment