I've always had an interest in WW1 aircraft ever since my parents bought me a book about them when I was a kid, the colour schemes are fantastic and the aircraft themselves have a lot of character. I've dabbled with building them over the years, the latest attempt being the above-mentioned Eduard Albatros.
I've had the Dragon Fokker E.V/ D.VIII in the stash for years as the look of it appealed to me but the main problem at the time was the struts as Dragon supplied them as etch for strength (styrene struts would just not work), the problem with etch is that it is flat and struts have an aerofoil section. I've pondered over the years different ways of improving the etch but never really came up with a solution up until a few days ago (yes it's obviously been at the back of my mind for this long).
What I'm planning to do is use styrene aerofoil section but flattened on one side and then superglued to the etch like this;
In a way I am glad that I did'nt build the kit all those years ago as (A) I probably would have buggered it up in the first place and (B) the new research means if I finish it the model will be more accurate. I recently got some lozenge decals from Aviattic that are VERY nice so this should be a giggle. More later....