Tuesday 27 March 2018

Heller 1/72 Mirage IV

It's a late one for me tonight and with the family asleep I'm unable to do any spraying on the other projects I have on the go so to save falling asleep myself I've decided to make a start on the old Heller 1/72 Mirage IV.
I've had this kit in the stash since 2001 (I keep a book for this type of thing) so feeling the need to revisit the scale where I started this hobby and the fact this kit was staring at me from the pile recently I've dug it out.
I have some resin bits to add such as a BOZ-103 chaff dispenser, a CT52 photo-reconnaissance pod and a ASMP nuclear missile plus a decal sheet from Model Art (no.72057). I got the nuke and recon pod as I couldn't decide which to add although I think I may be leaning towards the recon pod.
At the time of purchasing the kit these resin parts and decals were not available and probably why the kit stayed in the stash for so long. I won't be super-detailing the cockpit as the canopies will be closed and you won't see very much so technically it should be a pretty quick build...LOL!


Edit; Having said that and after a couple of hours I've more or less ended up with a virtually complete model!



Considering the age of the kit the fit of parts has been very good, all I've done so far is sand down the tail cone for the exhausts as the aerofoil section at the top featured some sink marks. Sanding it has also reduced the thickness of this bit too.
The rather basic cockpit has been assembled and glued into place and will be painted later on because as stated above you won't see very much of it as it is entirely black in the real aircraft. What I will do is find some Aeroclub Martin Baker ejection seats I have in stock as these will provide some interest for what you will be able to see through the closed canopies.
When the model is completely set I will rescribe the panel lines as these are raised on the kit, also the oversized rivet detail will be removed and possibly be redone using an RB Productions riveting wheel set although due to the scale of the model I might leave it. I shall decide on this later on as well as think about dropping the elevons, also one thing I do need to add is some weight in the nose as the model is a definite tail sitter.
With the decal sheet I have I may finish the model as the Mirage IV that was on static display during the 1994 International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford as that was the only time I ever saw one of these impressive aircraft;


2 comments:

  1. ..a kit I've been thinking about attempting too recently..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say the fit of parts so far has been really good. That and the thinness of the trailing edges puts a lot of modern manufacturers to shame

      Delete