Tuesday 27 March 2018

Airfix 1/48 P-51D Mustang

The model is finally up to the spraying stage so tonight I gave it a basecoat of Tamiya X-18 semi-gloss black to prepare it for the Alclad paint that I will be using later. Current wisdom states that you should use gloss black for Alclad finishes but I didn't have any in stock so X-18 is as near-as-dammit, also some folk don't like primer coats but I'm glad I did prime the model as it has shown up some areas that need attention before the final finishing coat goes on;


I've never airbrushed Alclad before so I shall practice on an test subject first rather than risk buggering up the P-51.

2 comments:

  1. ..no, I've never airbrushed Alclad before either, thinking (again) about attempting it on my Airfix P-51, although might just resort to my usual Halfords Aluminium...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've since learned that you need to paint any other areas first BEFORE spraying Alclad as masking tape affects it quite badly

      Delete