Monday 4 September 2017

Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk I

With the Leopard drying out after a bath, I had an empty bench;


This will not do so after being inspired by my flight alongside a Hawker Hurricane a couple of weeks ago I decided to make a start on the new tool Airfix 1/48 kit. Now I know I say this all the time but I shall try and keep the amount of detailing to a minimum with this kit, just concentrating on the cockpit as this is always the focus of attention on any aircraft model. Etch will be confined to an Eduard Zoom set and I have Eduard Brassin wheels and exhausts AND THAT'S IT! :o)
Assembly starts with the cockpit and to give Airfix their due it's quite good although the zoom set will add to it, especially the instrument panel. The kit seat has been replaced with the etched one and this was soldered together rather than glued;


In the interior of the landing lights Airfix had moulded the end of one rib on the end of the wing spar but after consulting my references there should be two rib ends in each. Using sheet styrene I made new ribs and hollowed out the ends as per the real aircraft;

I also extended the wing spar. As to whether you will actually see this is another matter but I know it's there :o)
By the way I mentioned that I flew alongside a Hurricane;




That was a very special day and one that will stay with me for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment